Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Timekilling

It's been awhile since I've posted - much of that has been due to my new job. Which I love, by the way. I've been on almost four weeks on night shift now, which isn't unusual for my line of work. Details aside, the biggest issue is finding out what to do on your nights off. I'm single, so I can keep whatever schedule I want, I don't have to deal with kids or anything else. For me, the key is to keep the same hours, even if I'm not working. So, I've been up since about 2pm (which is actually early). You have to really find ways to occupy those night hours, since you wouldn't really be running errands or anything, as you would during the day.
Thankfully, iTunes lets you rent movies. There have been a number of recent releases that I wanted to see, but didn't feel like buying. So, tonight, I'm catching up on my arts and entertainment. Here are my thoughts:

1. 127 Hours -- Meh. Decent flick. Good for rental and all, but I don't see the big deal. Also not suitable for the faint of heart as this is the story of a guy who had to amputate his own arm. Thankfully I was working on something while watching, so I had an excuse to miss some of the more gory parts. But I don't see the big deal about James Franco, and while I'm glad I saw it, I'm doubly glad I just rented and did not buy.

2. Winter's Bone -- I dug it. It's gritty and not a lot of action, but pretty spellbinding. Jennifer Lawrence was amazing, and I can't wait to see what she does in the future. But again, glad I rented.

3. Love and Other Drugs -- I have to say, very pleasantly surprised. Anne Hathaway deserved a nomination for this one. It's funny yet poignant, and makes me forget that Anne and Jake Gyllenhall were also a couple in the crapfest Brokeback Mountain. I will probably buy this one.

Next up? Guilty pleasure time: Burlesque. It'll probably be another Showgirls, but - at this point - I'm tipsy enough not to care.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment